Monday, August 27, 2007

Yarn Review Monday!

I have decided that I want to make Mondays into yarn review days! Every Monday I will let you know what yarn/yarns I am working with and let you know what I think of them! This week I am actually working on three different projects. The Fiber Art Fair in Hemlock NY is on the 15th, and I have nothing to wear! So instead of going necked, I am knitting 2 things for it. I am making a poncho out of recycled silk sari yarn in case it is chilly that day, and I am also making a tank top in Noro Gisha ribbon yarn.

Lets start with the sari silk yarn! I LOVE it! Once I figured out how to ball it and how best to use it, I want more!!! Let me make a couple og suggestions while using this yarn. I would not recomend creating something that will be up close and personal on your skin. I have noticed that there is alot of straw throughout it. I left the straw flecks in because I think it adds to the originality of the yarn, but I wouldnt want it scratching my chest or back. My next suggesion is do not make anything with this yarn using garter stitch. I made a scarf using garter, and while it is pretty, the colors muddled and was not happy. My thirr suggestion for this yarn, if you are making anything heavier than a dishcloth, do it on circ needles!!! My hands kept gowing numb from the weight until I moved to circs, now it is smooth sailing! I think everyone should try this yarn at least once! The texture and colors are never the same, and I love how it gets thin, thick, and even the unraveled places make it come alive!!!


Ok, lets move on to the Noro Gisha ribbon yarn, I have colorway102, it is green and golds! It is stunning. I really thought I would have a hard time using this,but again, I am going to add this yarn to my "yep, gonna get some more of this" list! Ok, some suggestions! Do NOT use bamboo sticks! It catches on the slikiness and flutteryness of the ribbon. Do not knit only in garter, I tried following the pattern I am doing, which is all garter and ended up changing it to stockinette, again the colors looked muddled. Maybe its just a verigated thing? I was surprised however to read that this yarn is 34% rayon 33% cotton and 33% polyester. I thought, and was told it was silk, but it is no big woop. So, yes, I think that if you havent tried this yarn, then it is worth trying out!

That is all for today, I have got a sink full of dishes calling me, and the boys have to start their evening lessons soon, so I will see you soon! Have you used either of these yarns? Let me know what you thought! Are you planning on using these yarns? Tell me about that too!!! Interaction is my favorite lol.

No comments: